Sad News…

Two years ago I was very fortunate to participate in the Schools on Board program that took 2 teachers and 10 students to do some Arctic research abourd the CCGS Amundsen, a Coast Guard run research ice breaker.  To board the boat in Kugluktuk, Nu. we had had to helicopter on board.  Sadly, on Monday, the helicopter crashed and unfortunatley resulted in the death of the pilot, the ship Captain, and a research scientist.  The CBC article can be found here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/story/2013/09/10/north-chopper-crash.html

It’s a reminder that people working up in the north is difficult, and full of risk.  It is treacherous country, and difficult to work in.  Researchers, Coast Guard, and anyone working in those conditions are always taking a risk.  Many of these people take the risk to help the rest of us better understand our environment and our country.    While on the ship I was always impressed with how well equipment was maintained, the safety measures in place, and training of the Coast Guard.  It’s very sad that an accident like this has happened.  On behalf of DMCI, I wish to send out a heart felt condolence to the families and friends of those that were involved in the crash.   May these men be well remembered and may their families and friends  heal quickly from this tragedy.

– Mr. M. Hegel